Make a Difference


ARE YOU concerned about :

The escalation of pornography and child pornography on the Internet. There are over 420 million pornographic web pages! – 12% of total websites on the net are pornographic (Internet Watchdog Committees 2006)  

That the average age of the first Internet exposure to pornography is 11 years old (not necessarily intentional)

The easy availability of pornographic and sexually explicit publications  

The increase in pornographic material in the guise of men’s magazines or “Lads Mags” displayed in family shopping outlets

 The ever-increasing exposure of our children and young people to sexually explicit material on TV, particularly pornographic films in so called “adult entertainment” slots

 The proliferation of adult entertainment premises (“sex-shops & strip clubs”)

 The pornographic DVD’s & videos in your local outlets

HIV & AIDS and STD’s – especially the escalation of infections amongst young people today.

The avalanche of advertising of “sexual services” in the daily newspapers

What YOU can do:
– Complain and speak out against offensive material – magazines, books, DVD’s, films, computer games, music lyrics by writing to the Film and Publication Board especially when the existing age-restrictions appear inadequate. It is equally important to speak or preferably write to the distributor or advertiser.

– Be aware of and react to porn-type men’s magazines freely available in stores by requesting management to remove them. Specific sexually explicit content should be reported to the Film and Publication Board, quoting the date of the magazine, page and title of article. Complain to your local Supermarket Managers or to their Head Office if the product is not family or child friendly.

– Any offensive adverts e.g. on TV or in print, should be reported in writing to the Advertising Standards Authority. Be specific.

– Report any form of child pornography – real or simulated – to the Child Porn Hotline 0800 148 148 or to the police. This is the law and your civil duty.

I. If you know the date, time, name of program and station write to the Broadcasting Complaints Commission (B.C.C.S.A.) within 3 months. Send copies to the Minister of Communication, ICASA and the Deputy Minister of Home Affairs. If B.C.C.S.A.’s reply or subsequent judgement is unsatisfactory write again to the Minister of Communication and also send copies as above.
II. If you have insufficient specific details to warrant writing to B.C.C.S.A., send complaints re offensive programs to the Minister of Communications with copies to ICASA and the Deputy Minister of Home Affairs. Use the same route to voice your opinion about sexually explicit/violent TV content in general.
III. Complain by phone or letter to the broadcasting station concerned.
NOTE: S.T.O.P would appreciate receiving copies of any letters re TV by e-mail, fax or post. This is important to facilitate future actions.

– Express your opinion in the media, e.g. write letters to newspapers, magazines and participate in “phone-in” radio programs.

– Lobby your local councillor or M.P. to formulate regulations to control the location and numbers of  adult entertainment premises (“sex-shops”) in your town or community.

– Support and encourage local stores who do not stock sexually explicit material. Voice your objections to those who do.

– Do not buy products advertised in an offensive way or which are advertised during sexually explicit or excessively violent TV programs. Let the advertiser know you are doing this.

– Educate your children on the harm of pornography and undesirable sexually explicit material.

– Educate the public by speaking up if you have been addicted to, or are a victim of pornography.

– Establish your own community watchdog group and support similar organisations should there be a protest demonstration, anti-porn campaign, etc.